Sunday, March 15, 2009

Race to Witch Mountain

Rating: Rental

Synopsis: Kid aliens and the Rock are trying to save Earth from destruction.

Spiritual Significance: Hard to say....I am sorry but just couldn't resist.  There are of course themes in this Disney reboot of the original (which I haven't seen.)  It deals with trying to set one's life straight, making tough choices to do what's right, not judging the book by its cover, etc.  I went to this movie because I wanted to go with my 14 year old niece and this was the only film that got any decent reviews (she had already seen the Watchmen.)  And it is an enjoyable movie which I will describe as Chevet to "Transformers" Camaro.  Parents shouldn't have trouble sitting through it and teens may like it.  It is clean, teaches a few lessons, and let's the family go on its way.  

The one thing that I found odd however was the directing and editing.  Specifically, Sarah's character played by AnnaSophia Robb and Jack's character played by Dwayne Johnson seemed to have a very "unnatural" chemistry.  I would say that there is more romantic chemistry between the two of them than Dwayne's romantic interest Carla Gugino.  And seeing a 40 year old man with a 15 year old girl (alien or not) is a bit strange.  Now, psychologists reading this may say I am just projecting and I do admit when Anna grows up she will be a beautiful woman.   However, the father-daughter feelings they were going for could have been easily mistaken for something of a different sort.  That is why directing/editing is surprising because they should have picked up on that.    

No comments:

Post a Comment